The founders of Invisible Children, posing with weapons, with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army.
I quote r-i-o-t (via cliffordthecorrupt):
First off, this campaign will NOT free 15,00 children. Even if Kony was shot dead 15,000 children would not be free. This problem does not stem from one guy, no matter how evil he may be. It’s so short sighted to think that killing/arresting one guy will free child soldiers. Child soldiers are rooted into the African conflict which are rooted into a history of imperialism which annihilated the country and poverty which continues to ravage it.
Uganda was colonized by the English. Now my knowledge of Ugandan history is very limited, but the people of the North, the Acholi, were enslaved by the British and suffered all the things that come with enslavement under the Empire. The LRA are an Acholi group. And now, Invisible Children want to fund militaristic intervention. Cant we see what colonialism has already done in Africa?
Also, IC supports the Ugandan Army and Sudanese PLA which themselves violently rape, kill, loot etc. Even though Kony himself is widely understood not to be in Uganda, IC is supporting military forces which kill the child soldiers he recruits. Not only that, but the interventions aimed at killing him have led to reprisals which damage local people and kill many.
I understand that the goal here is not colonialism, but intervention and colonialism will have the same effects. And, agreeing with r-i-o-t, killing Kony will not free “15,000 children”; this is as absurd as saying that killing Bin Laden will stop Al-Qaeda. The Army would be going to war with children too, so keep that in mind. But I think the most important thing to understand, as I said before, is that this intervention will cause blowback to us by angering others.
Let’s face the facts: the existence of the LRA itself is a bi-product of US activity. Did you know that Kony and his Lord’ Resistance Army receive money from the Sudanese government? Well, who gives billions a year to Sudan? The United States. Did you know that the LRA was started in opposition to the National Resistance Army? The NRA was the army that overthrew Tito Okelli. Okelli was Acholi (as is the Lord’s Resistance Army trying to reinstate their ideal government). Now who on Earth supported this NRA? The answer is Qaddafi.
We have ties to Qaddafi’s rise to power (through our intervention (funding) in Egypt). This gave him a good deal of aid. Him inciting that overthrow of Okelli created this current-era mess. That all stems from us, him and the British colonization. So we really need to assess history and where our actions of interventionism has gotten the Middle-East. The answer is perpetuated war.
The Invisible Children has good intentions, but will ultimately fail the battle of diplomacy. People cheered when IC achieved a ceasefire between Uganda and Kony. Do you know what Kony did with this ceasefire? He used the time to shift his armies and build them up. It helped him. Now he’s stronger, and is pissed off at us because, hey, we’re now involved. We’ve learned that our involvements created an worsened this mess, so why would any further action be different?
- topless-wizards likes this
- agnesskaarup reblogged this from thoseboringpolitics
- rmacaldo reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- dejolostinterpretation reblogged this from thoseboringpolitics
- originalsteelo likes this
- frenchhydiamonds likes this
- ariannadsantiago reblogged this from breathe-sin
- 4nsu likes this
- failschoolselldrugs reblogged this from thephuckeryy
- thephuckeryy reblogged this from tiaranicolemcmxcl
- breathe-sin reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- ngieomurphy likes this
- mrphotography10 reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- escapelogica likes this
- heychely reblogged this from makemesmilewthmyheart
- taylorh reblogged this from realitycaughtme
- realitycaughtme reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- aysteez reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- aysteez likes this
- whataresins reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- sayjaee likes this
- odd-chris likes this
- shitsntits reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- models-mermaids reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- makemesmilewthmyheart reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- t0uchd0wn reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- sailingthroughsunlight reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- helovestomsandsnapbacks likes this
- stonecldsexy reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- xtuttifruttiixd likes this
- ibelieveinmakebelieveee reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- boobiesxshoes reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- indieswishes likes this
- oxoooxxxox reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- tiaranicolemcmxcl reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- phokingerwin reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- oohsounique reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- sweetlycherished likes this
- illestpapi reblogged this from kicksnchicks
- kicksnchicks reblogged this from thoseboringpolitics
- dangatorium likes this
- uckf likes this
- ladylilith333 likes this
- stuffguru reblogged this from tumblrnamesarehardtomake
- tumblrnamesarehardtomake reblogged this from thoseboringpolitics and added:
- jameshames likes this
- thoseboringpolitics posted this